xjessirae

Another Little Piece
Kate Karyus Quinn
Wilde Nights in Paradise
Tonya Burrows

Nightshade (Nightshade Series #1)

Nightshade (Nightshade Series #1) - I’ve read several books about werewolves and was getting weary of picking up another one. However, I’ve read many many great things about Nightshade so I decided it was high time to pick it up and read it.I was expecting a regular werewolf story, but I was surprised to read that it’s original, unique, creative and absolutely brilliant. The werewolf aspect of this story meets more to the eye. The history of the wolves is explained in depth and woven into an amazing plot. It’s a lot more complex and deals with not only wolves, but magic. Those two combined make a mysteriously compelling story. I was lost and absorbed in the world Andrea Cremer made for Nightshade.I love that Nightshade is told through Calla’s eyes. Also, I love how the girl is the one with capabilities with the boy falling in love with her instead of the other way around. It’s such a different change from the other werewolf books I’ve read. I thought Cremer wrote a very strong, willing and fierce character in Calla. She believes and follows the ways of the Keepers, but she manages to think for herself and add in a little rebellion. Although Calla wants to be free, she still can’t leave her pack and family. But when she finds out the truth about the Keepers and Guardians, Calla doubts her heritage and everything she’s ever believed in.

Calla screams confidence, no wonder she’s an alpha female. She’s perfect for the role. I thought Calla to be a very relatable character and connected with her instantly. I understood what she did and I thought she made excellent choices as an alpha.

Calla is one lucky girl. Not only is she an alpha female but she has an alpha male counterpart that wants to be with her and a human boy eager to be her boyfriend as well. I’m going to admit that I am Team Ren all the way. He’s dark, handsome, brooding and his personality screams confidence and arrogance, especially as an alpha male. But god, is Ren sweet. He’s just more likable in my opinion. And then there is Shay. I think he’s a great counterpart to Ren. He’s handsome, the bad boy type, but cares deeply for Calla. Seeing both of them fight for Calla’s attention is thrilling, cute and very very interesting.

Overall, I thought Cremer wrote a fantastic story. It’s a sexy, full of adventure, betrayal, love, power and sacrifice.

5 of 5 stars.