xjessirae

Kate Karyus Quinn
Wilde Nights in Paradise
Tonya Burrows

Forbidden

Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma is what I call a story written with perfection. I was drawn to this book even before I opened it. By the end, I was clutching the book to my chest in hopes to prevent my heart from falling out of my battered body.

Suzuma took a topic, something I thought I would never read about and she made it into a well crafted, gut-wrenching love story that I couldn’t put down.Lochan and Maya have never really felt like brother and sister, but more as friends. Due to severe neglect on their mother’s part, together, they take care of their three younger siblings. Maya and Lochan understand each other more than anyone else and because of this they are closer than close. Unexpectedly, they fall in love. A love so deep and intense they are determined to stay together even if it’s wrong. To Lochan and Maya, their love feels oh so right. But how can a love like this survive when literally the whole world is against them?

This story broke not only my heart, but my whole being. I was so afraid that I would never be able to fix myself. Suzuma wrote one of the best stories I have ever read. She totally blurred the lines between right and wrong of love. I know it seems wrong to enjoy a story about brother and sister falling in love, but I couldn’t help it. I wanted nothing more for these two to be together. They needed each other more than anyone else, how can you not root for them?I love both Maya and Lochan. I love how Suzuma alternated their perspectives throughout the story. You really get inside Maya and Lochan’s head and Suzuma really excels at sharing their story to the readers. You become so invested into these two characters it’s no wonder conflicting feelings arise inside of you.It’s quite obvious that Maya is the stronger sibling of the two. Maya helps Lochan survive in the real world and she keeps Lochan going. Lochan is sweet, but oh so broken. His pain and reservation is apparent throughout the whole story and he continuously shattered my heart over and over again. They use each other as an anchor to care for their other siblings. But one thing is for sure, both Maya and Lochan are selfless characters. I just wanted to take these two away so they can live in peace.

Suzuma did such a brilliant job of building Maya and Lochan’s life. They literally had to raise their younger siblings. They had to keep that house in order to keep the social services from hounding them. Because of this, I really hated their mother to no extent. The way she acted just made me sick to my stomach, not Maya or Lochan’s behavior. It’s no wonder her children are the way they are. I solely blame their mother for everything.If anything, I was so consumed into Maya and Lochan’s love. I was so confused because I knew it was wrong. I knew that this shouldn’t happen, but Suzuma convinced me otherwise. I learned to understand Maya and Lochan and the situation they were placed into. I no longer saw right or wrong. I just opened my eyes and heart to these characters.

This book changed me in more ways than I could imagine. Suzuma left me breathless and astonished. She shattered my soul and left me gasping for air. This book is a true vision. This book is so astounding it will leave you thinking about this book weeks after you’ve read the last page. You will never ever be the same.

5 out of 5 stars