xjessirae

Kate Karyus Quinn
Wilde Nights in Paradise
Tonya Burrows

Strands of Bronze and Gold

Strands of Bronze and Gold - The saying “It’s not you, it’s me,” could not have been more true than when I read and finished Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson.Sophie was a young, sweet, innocent girl full of curiosity. She loved being at the house and exploring all around it. Sophie was kind, very good hearted, and brought up well despite the death of her father and also being motherless growing up. Although naive at times, Sophie was defiant when need be and when she felt she was being stifled. I loved that she was talkative and enjoyed telling stories and pleasing others. She was the type of person who didn’t like to be confined, but wanted to know, learn, and do new things. Sophie was fierce when she wanted to be and had fire and spunk when she knew she was right. Her curious nature was adorable, but was bound to get her into more than a little trouble. While I did like Sophie very much, I was unable to connect with her. Sophie’s godfather, Bernard de Cressac, was a peculiar character. To be quite honest, I think I was actually fond of him, which sort of makes me a little queasy. I think I grew to like Bernard because of his charm and charisma and the way he wanted to please Sophie so much. There was an underlying mystery about him, where I never really got to know him at all, making me only want to know him more. I don’t know whether I like him because I felt some kind of sympathy for him and his downfall or maybe because he exuded this dangerous and secretive personality that I was drawn to from the start. Maybe it’s because he was always a surprise, always in different moods throughout the story. You never really know what side of Bernard you were going to get, and even Sophie describes him as such. He was really possessive, successful and maybe even crazy, but he was the most fascinating character in this story, if not the most interesting.

I really wanted to fall in love with this book because the writing was very rich, languid, delicate, and simply stunning. The imagery and description of the setting was breath-taking and very expressive. I really got the sense of time in which this novel was set, especially with the descriptions of the house, to the workings of the servants, to the clothes that the characters wore, to the food eaten and the language spoken. I even loved that the pacing was pretty slow, but picks up near the end because it gave a sense of foreboding throughout the whole book. The problem I had was simple and sad; I was bored. No matter how much detail was put into this book and no matter how much I did seem to like and enjoy it, I was not compelled to finish it. In between reading this book and putting it down, I didn’t feel the pull to pick it up. It took me over three weeks to finally reach the last page and instead of wanting more, I was so relieved I finally finished. I also think that knowing this was a Bluebeard retelling made me expect Bernard’s demise and thus, took away any suspense, excitement, or creepy factor I was hoping for.
Overall, Strands of Bronze and Gold was beautifully written and a respectable retelling of a very well known fairytale. Fans of historical fiction and of retellings with surely enjoy such a fantastic piece of literature despite my thoughts.More Reviews on my blog: Words, Pages, and Books