xjessirae

Another Little Piece
Kate Karyus Quinn
Wilde Nights in Paradise
Tonya Burrows

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2)

The Scorch Trials - James Dashner The Scorch Trials picks up immediately from the end of The Maze Runner. There is no gaps nor is there a time lapse. James Dashner just sucks you back into The Gladers’s world without hesitation.

In this book, Thomas and his remaining (surviving) Glader friends are back. They go into thinking that what they went through in the Maze is over and that they are safe. However, they are hit with terrible news that they must face a new trial: The Scorch Trials. The Gladers are a little more informed why they must enter this second phase of trails, but a lot of information is still left in the dark. The Gladers are forced to fight for survival, running into Cranks, old friends, new friends and possible enemies.

I have to say the pace of this one is a bit better than the first book. It’s a little faster and a lot more exciting. What I like about this one is the introduction of different characters and villains. Because of the new characters it’s hard to tell which characters are supposedly good and bad. Also, we get to see some of Thomas’s memories surfacing that make the story even more interesting.

I also enjoyed knowing more information about WICKED. This book doesn’t give you much to go on, so at times it’s a little confusing. However, the information presented about WICKED and all these Variables the Gladers have to go through make the book enticing. It makes the reader turn page after page, wanting to find out more and more about what is really going on. Why certain Variables are chosen for certain characters, especially Thomas is something I don’t understand even until now. It gets frustrating not knowing much like the characters, but this makes the book appealing. This air of mystery that was apparent in book one keeps the reader going and going even if you think you’ve had enough. Some of the Variables the characters go through are pretty freaky and some are just too unbelievable. They go through much more this time around so of course this means several more causalities. I didn’t mind this at all, if anything I was expecting this.The downside of this book is the fact that Dashner seems to tell the reader how Thomas feels and acts, rather than letting Thomas “show” the story. It gets tiring when you read Thomas feels this and Thomas does that. Also, this time around his writing doesn’t flow as it did in the first book. It took me awhile to grasp some of the descriptions. Sometimes I felt I had to go back and reread a paragraph to remember what I was reading about.

Other than that, The Scorch Trials is still very enjoyable, just as the first. I’m ready to start book three and find out what WICKED is really up to and most of all, hope there is some kind of resolution for Thomas and his friends.

4 out of 5 starsMore Reviews on my blog: Words, Pages, and Books