xjessirae

Kate Karyus Quinn
Wilde Nights in Paradise
Tonya Burrows

Slide

Slide - Jill Hathaway Slide by Jill Hathaway wasn’t anything I was expecting at all. I was completely blown away, moved, and utterly amazed to bits by the whole story. Jill brings in this compelling and immensely thrilling story about a girl, Vee, who slides into people by touching an imprinted object all the while being able to literally see through their eyes. Jill take this idea further when Vee slides into someone murdering her sister’s best friend. Slide brings the added suspense and mystery that everyone will love.

It’s an understatement to say that Slide was extraordinary or brilliant. To me, it was so much more than that. Jill Hathaway did a great job with the development of the plot, the storyline, Vee’s special talent and all the characters. She really brings in that creepy and scary feeling you get when it comes to murder mysteries.

The pacing was more than perfect, but spectacular. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the whole book, waiting for the next intense moment to come. Readers will definitely devour this book so quick, they won’t know what hit them! It’s going to take their breath away.

Vee is incomparable to any character I’ve encountered. I love how she’s so human, so real, but the depth of her personality and characteristics are complex and individualistic. I love her compassion, her determination to help others, her selfishness and caring nature. She’s so cool, level-headed and she stands out of from the rest. She’s even got awesome pink hair! She’s got guts and spunk and she has this strong and clear voice that really drew me into her mind. I was able to connect to Vee on a very deep level. I really felt what she was going through, the difficulty with not knowing who to turn to, to talk to, not knowing who will understand her. For me, Vee is not only the most the vital and unforgettable part in the book, but the most lovable.

The added super natural element of Vee’s special talent is the perfect touch to this book. I love how Jill Hathaway describes her powers in detail where I got to know the ins and outs and all the rules of Vee’s power, but was still able to leave the sense of mystery to how and why Vee could do what she could do. I also enjoyed Vee’s acceptance towards her ability to the point where she uses it to help find out who the murderer is. I thought it was a good way to show how Vee was growing into her ability and seeing it as a gift rather than curse or a problem.I loved how I was able to connect and get to know the secondary characters fairly well. They all played a part in moving the plot and keeping the story flowing. I enjoyed seeing Vee’s sister, Mattie, transform into a young, naive and somewhat selfish character to a vulnerable, touching and supportive younger sister to Vee. I really felt for Mattie too. I can only imagine the pain and suffering she went through. I really learned to admire her when she finally realized that it was time to grow up. I also loved Rollins and his concern for Vee. He’s a good best friend to Vee despite their tension between one another, I really felt the deep and unbreakable bond that they have. And Zane. There is so much I want to say about him. He’s adorable, sweet, kind, and smart. Every time he showed up on page, I had this sense of relief and ease. I thought Zane was a wonderful character and I absolutely loved his connection with Vee. I loved their blossoming romance and all the moments they spent together. I couldn’t help but sigh with longing and my heart couldn’t help but skip a beat when it came to Zane.Slide kept me guessing at every turn. I suspected everyone and everything! It was so crazy, the tension and the need to find out who was committing the murders was palpable. I was completely engrossed within the book that I was taken by surprise by every unveiled secret. By the end, I was completely shattered and heart broken but most importantly satisfied with the turn of the events.

Over all, Slide is an excellent debut! Tied with twists, lies and secrets, Jill gives the book a very dark feel that is so intoxicatingly spellbinding. Slide is not only a must-read, it’s a must-have for every book lover’s shelf.

5 our of 5 starsMore Reviews on my blog: Words, Pages, and Books