xjessirae

Kate Karyus Quinn
Wilde Nights in Paradise
Tonya Burrows

Every Last Kiss: The Bloodstone Saga

Every Last Kiss: The Bloodstone Saga - Courtney Cole Every Last Kiss really starts strong with a powerful and gripping prologue and ends with a heart-warming and even better ending that definitely stayed with me for a very long time.

Macy Lockhart isn’t just a regular teenage girl, but she’s a Keeper a part of the Ancient Order of Moirae, where she is meant to protect and lead her Daedal (her charge) to carry out the Fates’ plan perfectly. Each life that Macy lives, her memories are swiped clean, but it return the moment she receives her Bloodstone. She remembers that she once was Charmian, handmaiden to Queen Cleopatra of Egypt. When an unexpected priest, Annen, brings her back to that time in Alexandria, Egypt, he tells Macy/Charmian that there is more to the Order than what they originally told her and that Charmian can change the events that happens in Egypt and possibly save her love, Hasani. This information plus her closeness to Cleopatra and Hasani along with her love for that time, Charmian starts to doubt the Order. After events go wrong in Alexandria, Charmian must decide whether to go through with the right path or save all the people she cares about even if it means risking her own future.
I was completely blown away by how amazing Every Last Kiss was. I didn’t know what to expect with the story, but with Courtney Cole’s brilliant ability to weave simplistic and elegant writing with the perfect mixture of history, fantasy and paranormals aspects, I fell in love with the story so much. I’ve always been fascinated with the idea of past lives and Egyptian mythology. The plot was refreshing and complex and entirely riveting.I was so mesmerized by the rich and vivid imagery that Courtney Cole used in Every Last Kiss. I didn’t just imagine Alexandria, I really felt like I was there. When I closed my eyes it felt like I was feeling the warm breeze blow my hair back or smelling the sweet scent of jasmine that basically became familiar the more I read the story with Charmian. It’s very rare for a book to actually take me to the setting like I was really there with the characters. It was a little surprising, but also beautiful all at once. I love the pacing because it slowly builds up to the action and the heart of the book.I loved Macy/Charmian’s character. Although Macy and Charmian are one, I thought Macy was funny and cool and very easy going while Charmian was sassy, smart and tough. Together, they made one brilliant narrator. She had this inner strength that really showed throughout the book, but she also had this vulnerability that made her truly remarkable. Despite all the doubts she had, I thought Charmian made the right decisions based on her beliefs. I really thought that Charmian handled all the problems head on and she was so brave. I love her loyalty towards Cleopatra and her relationship with her. Charmian and Cleopatra were like best friends, practically sisters. Their affection for each other was very sweet and I adored how much both cared for one another.Some books allow the romance to take over and have the plot center around it, but for Every Last Kiss it was a piece of it, a part of the whole picture. The romance didn’t overtake the plot, but it was still a vital piece to the story. However small or big the romance was, I did love Charmian and Hasani. Their relationship was much more mature and had much more depth compared to Macy and Derek’s. I saw how perfect Charmian and Hasani were for each other and I felt how much they loved one another. I had no doubt that these two were soul mates. I love how even though they both had duties, they still gave each other love and time. It was wonderful seeing Charmian light up around him, becoming a much calm person. Hasani was everything Charmian described and so much more. He was a true warrior, but he was beautiful, tall and regal. He had a tough exterior, but on the inside he was super sweet and he was kind and gentle. I can see why Charmian loved him so much.I love the added aspect of altering the future, changing the past and seeing how a small change can bring everything into chaos. It really brought another perspective into the book and it also made me see how important it was that changing the past ultimately changes the future and this cannot always be a good thing know matter how much we want it to be. I like the tie in with the Bloodstone and how everything was centered around it. I enjoyed at wondering how much power the Bloodstone had. The mystery of it all made me want to know more. I did wish I got a little more information on the past lives before Charmian was Macy. I thought it would have been a nice addition to see how Charmian lived life after life just out of my own curiosity. I also wish I got to know more about the Order of the Moirae, but the glimpses of them along with the mysteriousness of it had me intrigued even more so I hope to learn more about the Order in the next books to come.

Overall, Every Last Kiss was a beautiful story filled with love, sacrifice and suspense. The plot and characters really take you to a time to when Egypt flourished. The whole book was enchanting and it definitely swept me off my feet.4.5 out or 5 starsMore Reviews on my blog: Words, Pages, and Books